There are lots of reasons to get your teeth cleaned – even if you don’t want to. Dental prophylaxis – that’s the official name – can prevent problems before they happen and clear up small issues before they become big ones. It’s the most common procedure we perform at Brighton Dental San Diego.
Here are the top 9 reasons for getting a regular teeth cleaning no matter who you are:
1. You’ll save some money in the long run. Preventing problems costs less than treating them in almost every case. That means lower dental bills throughout your lifetime – and longer life for your natural teeth.
2. Your breath will smell better. There’s no gentle way to say it: When your teeth are dirty, your breath starts to smell. We can remove the plaque, tartar and debris so your breath smells clean – then you can maintain the clean by brushing, flossing and using mouth rinses.
3. You can keep gum disease from happening. Periodontal disease isn’t a natural part of aging, and it can be prevented. Slimy plaque buildup causes gingivitis, the first stage of gum disease. So does food and the bacteria that comes along with it. Everyone gets plaque, and everyone needs it to cleaned off regularly for a healthy mouth.
4. You can reduce your chances of a heart attack or stroke. The kind of bacteria that builds up in your mouth is the same kind that can cause a heart attack or stroke when it gets in your bloodstream. That means a regular teeth cleaning can very literally save your life.
5. You can prevent diabetes and minimize it’s symptoms if you already have it. Gum disease makes it hard to control blood glucose levels. And serious gum disease and diabetes have a negative, two-way relationship. Diabetes makes you more susceptible to gum disease, and gum disease contributes to the progression of diabetic symptoms.
6. If you have a baby, it may be healthier. Gum disease raises the risk of premature birth and increases the risk of low birth weight. Gum disease can even delay conception for women and contribute to impotence in men because it decreases your body’s overall health.
7. You may be able to prevent dementia. You may think all this sounds too good to be true, but ask Dr. Woods and she can confirm for you that poor oral health contributes to dementia by increasing your risk substantially. And yes, research exists to back this up.
8. You can reduce sensitivity. Once the dirt is out of the way, treatments are available at the dentist’s office and at home to reduce sensitivity, allowing you to have clean, bright teeth that feel as good as they look.
9. Teeth cleaning gets rid of stains. Never mind all the dirt, bacteria, slime and debris that cleaning gets rids of. Teeth cleaning also gets rid of stains from coffee, tea, red wine and other foods and beverages, contributing to younger, healthier looking teeth.
Learn more about this topic on the Teeth Cleaning And Prophylaxis page of the Brighton Dental San Diego website.
And come in for your dental cleaning right away. Getting your teeth cleaned isn’t a “once and done” kind of thing and needs to be repeated every 6 months or as often as Dr. Woods determines when she examines your teeth. Regular dental visits save money, save dental problems, improve overall health and make you look better – and there’s no downside.
Contact us now for a gentle teeth cleaning and an assessment of any problems you may have. We’ll get you cleaned up and get you on the path toward the best dental health possible.