Not that long ago, orthodontics was only associated with teens. After all, people either get braces when they’re a teenager or they just live with teeth alignment problems for the rest of their lives, right?
Now, people of any age can get braces, invisible braces and other orthodontic treatments – and reap the many benefits for the rest of their lives. Combined with cosmetic dentistry, a near-perfect smile is possible no matter how your teeth look or function now.
We provide orthodontic treatment at Brighton Dental here in San Diego, and you can get these 7 benefits and more when you let us help you with bite and alignment issues:
1. Increased dental health. It can be very difficult to properly take care of your teeth if they’re crooked or improperly spaced. It can be impossible to floss between some teeth, and brushing can be difficult. This leads to tooth decay, gum disease and other problems, but orthodontics can straighten teeth and make them easier to care for.
2. Better protection of teeth. Teeth protect each other, but teeth that stick out from the normal arrangement of the arch are vulnerable to injuries during physical activities. A soccer ball to the face, for example, could damage front teeth that stick out but often would not damage properly aligned teeth.
3. Easier biting and eating. You may have increased stress from use on the side of your mouth where the teeth are better aligned, but braces and other orthodontic treatments from Dr. Woods can allow you to use both sides of your mouth equally for biting and eating, reducing the stress and wear on some teeth. Plus, with properly aligned teeth you can eat a wider variety of foods.
4. Fewer problems breathing and sleeping. Improperly aligned teeth may cause breathing issues day and night because of how they impact the palate and the upper jaw. Alignment-related breathing issues can cause you to wake up during the night or toss and turn, leading to tiredness and other issues during the day.
5. Better speech. Your teeth play a crucial role in speech, so getting orthodontic treatment can make it easier for you to say certain sounds, allowing you to speak more precisely. Properly aligned teeth will no longer cause lisps or whistling and allow you to speak more clearly and appear more professional and intelligent.
6. No more pain. Tooth structure issues can cause teeth grinding in some cases. Grinding is often a nervous action like biting your nails, but it can sometimes be caused when teeth rub together more easily than they should. Grinding causes wear, chips and cracks, but orthodontics may be able to help you end this problem or reduce it.
7. More confidence. Better looking and better functioning teeth simply make you feel better about yourself. When your teeth look like they should, there’s no reason to be self-conscious anymore and you can finally have the high level of self-confidence everyone should be able to experience. People notice people’s teeth before just about anything else.
Gentle Orthodontics From Brighton Dental
People are often concerned that orthodontics leads to painful and cumbersome treatments, but better choices are available today than ever before. Braces are gentler than in the past, invisible braces without brackets are available and other options can give you quicker and better results than you ever thought possible.
Learn more about this topic on the Orthodontics page of our website.
Then contact us if you need orthodontic treatment. At Brighton Dental, our San Diego dental team is ready to help you achieve the beautiful, properly aligned and fully functional teeth you want and deserve.